Wednesday, October 26, 2016

What Exactly is a Flipped Classroom?

Before reading any articles I had no clue what a flipped classroom was. Even at first when I began to skim the articles I was not convinced. At first thought I would have to agree with many skeptics f the flipped classroom idea. I thought a flipped classroom takes value out of coming to school if what is being taught is all on the internet and that students could watch the videos online and not feel they need to attend class because they have already leaned what thy were going to learn in class. 

I have a better understanding of how a flipped classroom could be run successfully. Seven Things You Should Know About a Flipped Classroom gave me a good understanding about differences in flipped classroom learning. The article discussed how a classroom could be run with a flipped approach. It discussed how there is no one single way of doing it but the one common standard is that the lecture portion happens at hoe on the students time and the class time is spend essentially doing the homework at home. A flipped classroom can absolutely be a successful way of teaching higher education students, I would personally find it as a nice change of pace from a traditional learning style. A flipped classrooms gives a student an opportunity to take more time to understand a topic instead of taking a massive amount of notes very quickly to read at home later that hopefully make sense. In my time as a undergrad I noticed many students recording the professor during lectures they could listen to exactly what was said in class later at home. I think the flipped classroom would also be beneficial because it almost encourages a student to ask a question at class the following day if they still do not completely understand a topic, or for them to just google the topic themselves and do more reading about it.


I could absolutely support a flipped classroom in a higher education classroom. As I pursue my elementary and special education license I do not see how a flipped classroom would be as beneficial for younger students and students with special needs. But I would love to be convinced otherwise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment