The art of storytelling is something that a generation maybe loosing. Telling stories around a fire or to a room orally is something that not all will have a chance to experience. This ancient form of communication is something that should not be lost. The article, The Science of Storytelling: Why Telling a Story is the Most Powerful Way to Activate Our Brains talks about how story telling connects the speaker and the lister and how they both can learn from each other. Story telling is the first was the humans entertained each other. Through fables that were eventually written down and are not the beloved children's stories that we still hear.
In a job as a summer camp counselor I learned and mastered telling stories, as every good camp counselor should. I learned how to get people attention with my stories with pauses and getting silence with my own silence, I learned to scare and excite and instill other emotions thorough words alone. I believe that because I was given a chance to perfect my storytelling skills that is has made me a more effective communicator. Since I was given a chance to tell stores around camp fire it made me a better public speaker, I can project my voice without yelling and get and hold the attention of a room, skills that will help me be a better teacher. Whenever I had a camper ask if they could tell a story i always said yes, because it gave them a chance to improve their story telling skills, and as always a good chance for a laugh because kids always had the funniest stories to tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment